Are you like me and always on the hunt for healthy, easy sides to pair with all types of meals? Enter the fritter! So versatile it can be consumed any time of day and it’s damn tasty. Yes!
Run don’t walk to make my new favorite snack!
- 2 medium-sized zucchini, grated
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup blanched almond meal
- 2 organic eggs
- Grass-fed ghee for cooking
Suggested Toppings: serve with fresh avocado, poached egg on top, quality smoked salmon
- Add the grated zucchini and salt to a bowl and mix together. Set it aside for 10-15 minutes and allow the salt to draw out some of the water.
- Remove as much liquid from the zucchini as possible; you can put the
mixture into a tea towel and squeeze out the excess liquid, or simply
use a fine-mesh strainer.
Add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together to combine.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat. Add some ghee to the pan and allow it to melt. Once the pan has heated up, place some of the mixture on to the pan to create a fritter for a test batch. Flip the fritter carefully once the bottom is golden brown and continue cooking the other side until golden brown.
- Slide the fritter onto a plate.
- If the mixture is too dry, mix through another egg (I find these are easier to cook and flip if the mixture is a little on the runnier side, you will just have to re-mix the raw mixture in between cooking the fritters if the liquid begins to separate). If the mixture is too wet, add a little more almond meal until you reach your desired consistency.
- Continue cooking the fritters and add more ghee to the pan as needed.
- When they’re all ready and cooked begin to plate up.
- Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy.
Makes 8-9 zucchini fritters
- Serving size: 1 fritter
- Calories: 106
- Carbohydrates: 4.2g
- Total Sugar: 1.3g
- Fat: 8.9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 50mg